John Sterling immersed himself in a bath of experimental chemical solutions and molten metal to make himself invulnerable to any bodily harm.
He first started out as a private detective, living a dual life as John the P.I. and Steel Sterling the superhero. He told people that "Steel" and "John" were brothers, but he later confessed to his girlfriend, Dora Cummings, that he was indeed both of them.
As WWII began, he retired from being a detective and worked with the U.S. government to thwart the Axis powers and their spies. Much later in his career, he became a movie stuntman and went public with his identity.
- No special notes.
- Steel Sterling was the original "Man of Steel." Superman, who would debut two years earlier, was known as "The Man of Tomorrow." Later, he would swipe the "Man of Steel" moniker.
- Because he has the body qualities of steel, he can create a magnetic field and intercept wireless messages by rubbing his tongue over his teeth.
- Unfortunately, when he battled the evil mastermind Magnetic Menace, his foe stole the belt, and zoomed out of control into outer space. Thus, Steel gained his enemy's Magno-Scooter, renaming it "The Sterling Scooter."
Friends of Steel Sterling
- Dora Cummings: his girlfriend, who he confessed his dual identity to.
- Looney (Alec Ben Lunar) a friend who sees all and knows nothing.
- Officer Clancy: a clumsy policeman who assisted in several of his cases.
- Inferno: a criminal he helped reform.
- Appearances of John Sterling (Earth-MLJ)
- Character Gallery: John Sterling (Earth-MLJ)
- Fan-Art Gallery: John Sterling (Earth-MLJ)
- Quotations by John Sterling (Earth-MLJ)
Links and References